It’s easy for summertime to slide by, a bit more relaxed and laid back than other times of the year; you may find your business productivity decreases as a result. I’m all about enjoying the summer, but I also love achieving what I’ve set out to achieve! How do you accomplish both?
- Define your goals; what do you want to be able to say about your business that you can’t say now? Be specific (that’s the first element of SMART Goals, remember? See http://avisionofyourown.com/small-business-tips/smart-business-goals/ for a SMART goal refresher). Here are some examples:
- Earn 6 new level A clients.
- Introduce XYZ product line with at least 4 products.
- Complete training and certification in a skill or technique.
- Define what it will take to get there. If you can’t define every step, start with what the next logical step is, and move from there.
- You are an expert at something (that thing everyone knows to be true about you). How do you best apply that to reach your goal? How and when will you use those skills? Using our natural abilities turns the steps to our goal into an easy stroll.
- To reach your goal, what tasks or responsibilities are best done by someone else? Once you understand where your greatest value lies, consider how to best accomplish other tasks. Many of us love control, but seriously… what is honestly better done by someone else? Consider swapping control of a business function for summer fun.
- What resources do you need? Where and how will you find these resources? Consider environmental, physical, and motivation and support in addition to financial and human resources.
- Define milestones so that you can feel confident about the progress you are making, or not. While it’s nice to think all of our attempts will be successful, allow for some fallout in your timeline. Here are some examples:
- To reach 6 new level A clients by 9/1, I need to speak to 36 by 6/15.
- Meet with 8 potential product vendors by 7/10.
- Schedule certification exam no later than 8/15.
- Go. It really is that simple. If fear of failure is an issue, just focus on the task at hand. If you’ve defined your tasks with milestones and responsibilities (access FREE worksheet downloads) taking one step at a time will get you to where you want to go.
Achieve your goals. Enjoy the summer. That’s excellence with ease.